Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, January 14, 2008

My car's battery is dead today.

It's so cold today. I couldn't start my car today. It's weird. It ran good last night. Why couldn't it start? I tried twice to start it, and I also found someone to help me to jump it, but it didn't work as well. Probably, the battery is dead. I am not quite sure about my battery. The weather in Grand Forks is too cold. It was -17F this morning, it's -10F now. Therefore, it is possible. The car didn't have this problem before, so I am not sure how it happens this time. In order to avoid it will happen again, I had searched some reasons from a website, I think that it would also help people to avoid causing this problem in future.

There are a number of reasons why batteries can weaken and fail. A few common ones include:

  • Leaving headlights, interior lights, flashers, and the radio on when the car isn't running.
  • Using the air conditioner when the car is not running.
  • Not starting a car for long periods of time (e.g., while it's in storage).
  • Lack of battery maintenance (e.g., not keeping terminals clean).
  • Failure of the diode bridge or voltage regulator in the alternator; the alternator charges the battery when the car is running.
  • Low air temperature, which causes batteries to freeze.

  • I feel sad for my car's problem. I hope that it would be solved tomorrow. I will try to jump it again tomorrow. Tomorrow will be warmer than today.

    1 comment:

    Jimmie said...

    Xia, a lot of times cars just don't start well in the morning after the night was extremely cold. Did you have your engine block heater plugged in?

    Last year, it was too cold for my car and it wouldn't start, even wtih a battery jump. The battery was fine, it was just too cold! You can buy a battery warmer that plugs in pretty inexpensively. Aaron could tell you where we got ours.