Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New semester started from today.

Currently, I'm a student in English Language Learning (ELL) class. I have enrolled this class since the fall of 2007. And now I'm ready for the new semester. Today was the first day of the new semester. I felt kinda excited today. I got up early in the morning, however, I went to class a little late, around 9 o'clock. When I got there, the beginners were studying with our teacher Ms. Anna Picklo. She is a nice person, and she teaches us a lot. For everyone in this class, she helped us a lot in the past year. I deeply appreciate. Our whole group always work together from 10:00 to 11:30 every class with grammars, listening, reading, discussion, etc... Today, we discussed about what had happened on several special days, such as Dec 25, Dec 31 and Jan 1st. Each of us made a wonderful speech. I learned a lot from them, but I couldn't write down everything. I just wanted to write something down about my days.

On Dec 25, my husband and I went to a friend Jeff's parents' house for dinner. We had a great night on Christmas. There were 4 Chinese people, including two of us. That was our first Christmas to be celebrated with American people in US. We were curious to know everything about that. After dinner, we discussed the different cultures from different countries. And we also talked about what had happened in the past years. Jeff's parents told us about their hunting things.They shot down a 700 pounds buffalo only with 3 bullets a couple months ago. And they had twins grandchildren, one girl and one boy. That was a great thing. In China, one couple can only have one child because of the population policy. Therefore, if the couple can have twins, especially one girl and one boy, that's a great thing for their family. I am not sure for the other American people, but our friend's family are happy for having the twins. We did have a great time with their family on Christmas night.

Later, on Dec 31, we went to our friend Tiffany's apartment to celebrate the upcoming New Year. Surprisingly, her birthday was on Jan 1, therefore, we also celebrated her birthday after midnight. At that night, we played several games, Poker, Udo and Take Your Pick. I learned many new words from Take Your Pick. (http://lds.about.com/od/productreviews/gr/take_your_pick.htm)


We went back to our apartment around 2:00 am. I slept in until 11:00 am. I cooked 4 courses for lunch on New Year's Day. After lunch, my husband went to his office for working, and I studied English in the afternoon. I just knew this blog from my friend, Jimmie,then I determined to create a blog and made my New Year's resolution. I decided to write on my blogger in English every day in future. I'm going to use this blogger as a stepping-stone for improving my written English.

Above-mentioned were my special days during the holidays.
We discussed thisin our class today. The other part was learning Easy English News. I learned a few words from it. It was a good beginning for the semester. In addition, Anna took some cookies for us today. Because of those cookies, I learned a new word too. Those cookies' topping contained a flavor. I liked that taste, but I didn't know the name of that flavor until today. It's peppermint. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great. It seems you have made a lot of changes and progress in the past year. keep going, baby!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I will.